Thursday, December 16, 2010

Lima






13. des. 2010

(San Bartolo)

We did get going, after salsa dancing like crazy in an empty bar. The ride was flawless apart from some patches of roadwork, where we were allowed through the blockage to mind the big trucks. I found myself in a pretty deep ditch, and trying to get out the bike slipped and I once again! screwed up my knee, which is huge again. So it was Back on penicillin! I enjoyed riding with the couple, who were great people that gave me something new to investigate: conflictology. Something that allows them a freelance, well paid, challenging, varied job that theres always a need for.

We fought our way through the crazy panamerican highway in Lima. We tried to avoid the traffic, but it wasn't possible because they were building a metro. It was hot, buzzing, dusty, and it was all for themselves, meanwhile we were trying to stick together. The couple was hit by another car, luckily without damage. They were however nearly hit in a quite high speed, but made a avoiding left turn just in time. In the middle of this madness, a local guy on his own motorbike with a flag on the back, told us that he was going to help us out. We staggered through rows of cars, drove up on sideblocks, asked and searched for another road with less traffic. In the end we made it through, back on the Panamerican highway, after taking some photos with our fantastic guide->, we were moving again. We passed by the beautiful beachtowns of Lurin, punta Hermosa, Santa Maria del mar, and then our destination: San Bartolo. I had missionary contacts there that knew of a safe hostel to leave my bike as I explored the Miraflores area in Lima.

We had a last coffee before they continued towards Ica, and I bargained down a nice hotel room for half price. I checked out Miraflores in the morning, which is a modern, urban and beautiful part of Lima. The streets are wide, clean and framed in tall buildings and international chains like Starbucks. Lima is not a popular city among travellers, with its 9 million citizens and thin, white fog, which makes everything look a bit dirty and colorless. But the sun wasn't that weak, as I took a nap on a stone fence that was shaped like waves, and to me: as a perfect leaning chair. I enjoyed the sun, breeze and the sound of big waves below the cliffs, where wetsuited surfers were riding, like I wish I was as well. But with a bad knee, there aint that much to do but be. That's what we do. We are being, and that's all we need to do.

I'm a sucker for ice cream samples, and I found the most amazing ice cream place next to the main park in Miraflores. facing the ocean, it's on the left side, at the corner of the park. I tried the famous chicharron sandwich(perfectly okay) that two of my friends had recommended, after walking around with a nice couple from Chicago, I had gotten to know, that was on a honeymoon. We were staying at the garden hostel(6dollars for a dorm w free breakfast), which is a cheaper and quiter option to the party hostels like Loki and Kokopelli. It is hard to spot, on the corner by the church, but its worth a little searching as its greatly located two blocks from a market with fruit and lots of good seafood lunches, in addition to being two houndred meters from the coastline. It was a shame that the birthdayparty got cancelled, but I had a good time and didn't mind the big city. I didn't go into the other parts like the historical center, which is UNESCO'ed, that probably would have been pretty neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment