Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Arequipa and Chivay

09/02/11


After saying goodbye to the guys, I was on my way to Arequipa for 30 soles. The bus was fine, besides the fact that the speOakers were directly above my head, bursting out the Godfather 2 in spanish. I talked to a nice man from Arequipa, and took a sleeping pill to knock myself out for the whole 11 hours. Worked nicely.
Took a taxi for 5 soles to the center, for The Flying Dog hostel, where my dear Tornado was waiting for me. He has had some upgrades, and I can't wait to ride him tomorrow. I didn´t want to start riding now, when there's so much traffic.
Its a nice hostel with a good breakfast. Just a bit too expensive for me. I´m leaving for Colca Canyon at dawn, and intend to stay at Chivay, before going to Puno.
Arequipa is pretty, but there´s not a lot to do. I´ve walked around, snatched photos, met a guy I knew from Colombia, hung out with some people and really enjoyed watching The Expendables. We´re now going out for a free instrumental concert in the San Francisco church.
Other things to do in Arequipa is fine dining, party and visiting the Santa Catalina monastary.
The evening before I left, I met a german guy on a bike too. Might run into him in Colca Canyon.

I´m now enjoying some newfound music: Devendra Banhart (-freely, escpecially). Thanks Dolan.

Riding to Chivay

What a day!!

Chivay is the little town nearby Colca Canyon, the worlds deepest canyon. To get there, I got up really early and loaded my bike. And hey, my straps are just falling apart, and to not have to wait until traffic commences, I used lots of electrical cables as security! Disturbing.
I was afraid. Seriously afraid to get back on the bike after two months. Riding in such altitudes where the engine keeps tugging, so that you have to remain leveled out in every turn, didn´t help, either. Gradually, I`d get more and more comfortable again.
Travelling is strange. I`m just.. getting to know places now. Exploring. My passion is fresh and stirring. My eye is searching and admiring. My mind is saying I should be more careful.
I did conquer my fears today. Life gave me a nice reward for it. The scenery is once again very admirable. There`s hardly any plant life, but a few animal species; some sort of deer, alpacas and flamingos.
Can`t believe I was walking on my bike that many times to defeat the altitude, still remaining so positive that I was going to make it. I was rolling downhill at one point. The engine just died again and again, after I had passed the highest point, by some snowcapped mountains. Can`t say how worried I am about going back up there, on my way to Puno. Don`t feel like being stuck down here, though Chivay is a lovely town! Taking my bike to a mechanic later.

Everything has tasted great here, people are nice and wearing colorful, traditional clothing, and the dogs are the loveliest I`ve seen. The mountains are spectacular. Sorry, but Norway is just losing this fight...
I found a friendly hotel here for 10 soles, called El Rey. I`ve snatched photos and had a great lunch in a restaurant on the way to the bullfight arena. The landscape in the valley is lovely and there`s flowers all about. Its raining now, so its time to get some chemistry done. In the morning, its due offroading Colca Canyon! Hopefully some thermal baths, too.


















No comments:

Post a Comment