Saturday, February 12, 2011

Chivay to Puno

I left, once again, very early. Driving up to 4900 meters above sea level that early was quite cold for my fingers. The engine did fine, until the level of gasoline got a bit low.

Just to be sure, I did some more check ups. It turned out to just be the lack of gasoline, so that I would have to refill or switch on the reserve, every time the engine would stop. The views were more spectacular at first, but it was nicer when it got a bit hotter. I´ve seen so much incredible nature now...

Made it all the way to Puno, where I got pulled over by cops. They immediatly shipped me off as they saw that I was a white woman. What wrong am I gonna do? just ride without a licence. taha. On my way out of Arequipa, I didn´t take any chances and did a loop in a dirty little village to avoid the police check ups.

Seing Lake Titicaca was quite a reward. I should´ve sat down to relax, but I got some great massage tips, and went searching. A woman walked with me for great parts of it, just to help out. Only found overprices places and was exhausted by the end of it. Now I´m all wrapped up in a blanket, ready for the big day tomorrow.

Its my last day in Peru, today, and I´ve been reflecting. I really came to like peruvians as well as their nature. Colombians are different. They have this incredible pulse, while peruvians have a more reserved pride(in a good way), and I´ve talked to so many nice old men that love to talk about their country. There´s a different crowd travelling in Peru, and its amazing how established tourism is here. You´ll find a gringo anywhere!

There´s also an older crowd, very often couples, travelling in Peru. Definately more europeans.

I am now very much excited about how Bolivia will be! I´ll miss the peruvian roads at one point, probably. The food too. Oh boy..











No comments:

Post a Comment