Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Machu Picchu!





















Days had been a bit unproductive, and I was keen on getting out of Cusco, though we´d had some kicks.

We booked our trip through Wayanay expeditions; 310 soles for a 6-7 hour minivan-ride through insane terrain that resembles the death road in Bolivia. Its rainy season, so a lot of landslides made the drivers have to get out and move rocks. At one point we all had to get out and cross 100meters of landslide terrain, while rocks were falling at our heads and people screaming out warnings.
We then had an included lunch, drove past some rediculously strong rapids, before we reached the beautiful valley where we would be walking for three hours. The sun was shining, the smell was of wet jungle, the sounds of the river and birds, while my eyes were wide open, pointed at the majestic mountains surrounding us. I thought I wanted to share these things, but I found myself isolated to feel a stronger connection to time and place. It was so good to get back into nature!
We walked a bit in the dark, before we reached Aguas Calientes, the town beneath Machu Picchu. After getting our entrance tickets(you need identification), we had a nice included dinner and a good, short sleep in the hotel which was also included.

The big day:

We got up at 4am and got in line, where we ate a snack. The gates open at quarter to 5, and we were not the first ones. I knew it was going to be a hell of a climb up those stairs. Approximatly 1,5 hrs. One of the argentinian girls that were there said she was an athlete, so she could run up there and keep slots for us. That kind of motivated me extra to push it. Only the first 200 people get to go up the incrediblys steep mountain; Wayna Picchu(50min). Because of the lack of oxygen, I had to stop a few times to breathe, so that the acid wouldn´t murder my legs. I was still number 20 to get up there. Quite happy about that. Especially since I beat that athlete by several minutes.
At 6 o clock, they start stamping your entrance to Wayna Picchu, and the buses begin to arrive. We had our guided tour from 7, so we wanted the 10 o clock entrance. (200 go up there at 7 and 200 at 10). The guide was better than expected! It has such an interesting history. We also had great weather, so it was good for photos. The last few days, it had been pouring down, so it was good that we had waited.
It was strange to be in a place that you had seen so many times before, on photos.
Spectacular!
We kind of lost Jack when we were about to leave, but we managed to get down on time to have lunch and reach the train. The train is slow, but nice. We just played cards and chilled out. It was a great deal better than the minivan, which was a dreadful ride for the last 6 hours.

Now, its our last day in Cusco. I'm sorting out photos, as I´m not sure I'll meet them in La Paz, and we´ll hopefully play some football, before I get on the bus to Arequipa(11hrs, about 90soles). Tomorrow I´ll be reunited with my dear Tornado!

The photos are in reversed order. As for the name in the sand, I do leave my friend's names in random places of SA. This is just the first one I posted. Love you guys!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment